Promised yourself you’d take better care of your skin in 2022? Here’s what we think can help.
So, you’ve made a new year’s resolution to improve your skin. You might have a clear plan of how you’ll do it, a vague idea of how to better take care of your skin, or nothing but sheer determination and willpower. But have you considered changing your perspective on your skin too? Stick around and you might learn (or be reminded of!) a thing or two to help you on your journey, no matter what your skin is like right now.
It’s worth noting that this isn’t just another list of commands for you to follow to get better skin. Nobody keeps doing something just because someone else told them to. No, here we hope to change your perspective on your skin to hopefully instil some lifelong positive changes!
Here’s how we like to think about skin:
1. Your skin is an organ, much like the other organs of your body. It can be affected indirectly by lifestyle choices too, for example: eating a diet high in sugar increases the risk of heart disease but can also cause acne and wrinkles. When you consider your skin in this way, you’ll start to connect (and hopefully see) real improvements to your skin from subtle lifestyle changes.
2. Your skin is unique, and so is your favourite Instagram skincare influencer’s. It can be so easy to get sucked into the whirlpool of Instagram skincare product recommendations, but please remember that just because a product works for one person it doesn’t mean it will work for you. Unfortunately, that includes skincare influencers and some of their recommendations simply won’t benefit you and could even worsen your skin. We’re not saying that their recommendations are bad products, far from it, but just that they could be bad for your skin.
3. Your skin gets stressed too! If you’re feeling stressed, your skin could be feeling stressed. It’s no secret that stress is damaging to our bodies. In a perfect world we’d say “just don’t get stressed”, but also in a perfect world, you probably wouldn’t be reading this because everyone would have perfect skin. Unfortunately, stress is unavoidable, but how about we mitigate it instead? Regular exercise, no matter what kind, is number one. Whether you love running, lifting weights, or playing sports, take some time out of your day to take your mind off everything!
4. Professional advice is invaluable. This one is pretty self-explanatory – having the advice of an aesthetic professional will help you choose the best products for your skin. Just like you would go to a doctor if you had a health concern, we recommend seeing an aesthetics professional for a skincare concern. Consultations can be expensive, sure, but do your research and you might find great clinics offering free or reduced-cost consultations like at Dr Hala Medical Aesthetics.
5. Consistency is key, even when it comes to skin. The key to improving most things in life is consistency. The more consistently you practice something, the better you’ll get. Your skin is very similar. Consider the changes you make and the products you use to be “practicing” having good skin. Eventually, you’ll become more consistent and your skin will love you for it, as so many products and skincare routines require long-term consistency before you start seeing real results.
6. And of course, it wouldn’t be a skincare blog if we didn’t mention that your skin needs to be shielded from the harmful UV rays of the Sun!! The only thing we will always tell you to do is wear your sun cream even if the sun isn’t out.
And there we have it, a few ways to think about your skin that can help you make decisions that will improve it in the long run! Got a question? Feel free to ask us here for more info.